Monday 15 July 2013

Resident Evil 4. Playstation 2!

Hello readers, if you're reading this you are obviously a fan of Resident Evil, or you are curious about Resident Evil. And if you have played RE4 then you will know that it is a great game, like this game is really good. So I hope you enjoy my review on it, and if you do like it leave a comment if you want or take a look at some of my other reviews, where I write my take on other games.

Resident Evil 4, Ari's actual copy.
Well this game has been such a big part of my whole gaming life, to be honest it was one of the first games I ever really dabbled in properly on PlayStation 2, and I remember exactly how I got into it, picture the scene... The year was 2006 and I was in Year 8 at secondary school, it was a Thursday and I remember that it was a Thursday because I always went to my friend Ari's house on a Thursday after school and we'd catch the bus and then I got a ride home with my mum on her way back from work, it worked out perfectly because the hospital she worked at was just round the corner from Ari's house... Sorry I rambled. So yeah, we went to Ari's house and she told me that she had bought RE4 and had played a little, so Ari loaded up her PS2 and she played and I watched, and she was at the big fight with the evil Ramon Salazar. RE4 is a third person shooter, which I surprisingly loved as I generally prefer first person shooters like Call of Duty.

Ramon Salazar.
Well Ari soon defeated Salazar and I went home but something about the game really intrigued me, well us both I think, so we made plans to play the game from start the next day and over the weekend. The game starts as a previously known RE character, Leon S. Kennedy being driven to a little Spanish village by two rather sarcastic Spanish guards or police, I cant remember there exact job titles. The gameplay starts with Leon (played by you)

Leon & Ashley... Nice curtains Leon.
checking out this creepy, really dilapidated looking log cabin, within is a "hostile local" who you had to "neutralise" the two guards die and you have to walk to the village, in a nutshell. Once in the village you have to end a few more local zombies, well there not really zombies, but for arguments sake we'll call them zombies. And in, I think its the second house on the left as you enter the village, there's a nasty little surprise. enter it and you'll have to face a crazy with a chainsaw! Dr Salvador, there's a few Dr Salvador's in the game and he has a girlfriend, well two actually. CHAINSAW ORGY PARTY! And they're called the Bella Sisters, twins, kinky right?


I thought this was funny, just a little RE4 meme.
So the reason you are in Spain is to save the Presidents daughter who was snatched from the states by a cult called the Los Iluminados, which is leaded by Osmund Saddler, he plans on infecting the Presidents daughter, Ashley Graham, with a mind controlling parasite called Las Plagas, ship her back off to the States which would consequently infect her father, President Graham, and he would control the nation under Saddlers command. Pretty evil right? and after a bit of back and forthing and several "lets rescue stupid Ashley" missions you face Saddler who is surprisingly not that difficult to beat, and the final defeating hit is delivered by a present from the lovely Ada.
Ada & her leg twin Angelina.

Ada Wong is one of those fictitious characters whom you would love to stick a knife in. But at the same time you would be sad if she died, although me and Ari had many laughs at her expense we did always know we would just start from our last checkpoint (which is a typewriter) and she would be alive. Ada's character is just as important to RE4 as Leon, Ashley and Saddler. there's a lot of unexpected aids in RE4 that help Leon not die basically, things like a church bell ringing and it luring an enclosing crowd of minions away from you. Well that's thanks to Ada, she is supposed to be working with Saddler, but is actually working for the evil mastermind behind the umbrella corporation, but still helps Leon. Bitch is crazy! But what is really cool is that you can play Ada's story once you have completed Leon's story. Ada's story answers a lot of questions that you may not of even had, Ada's character is very mysterious, as she says "she prefers to hide in the shadows" Strong romantic feelings between Leon and Ada are strongly suggested throughout the series, including Ashley asking Leon to go back to her house and do some "overtime" when he totally pies her she assumes its because he has feelings for Ada.

OMFG CUTE ^.^
Resident Evil 4 is 99% an awesome game, the 1% flop is the fact that it isn't multiplayer, I don't know how they'd have incorporated that into the storyline because Leon doesn't have a direct partner, he spends very little time with Ada, probably about 5 minutes through the whole game in cut scenes (which are very good by the way) and Ashley can't really be called a partner given that she is about as useful as tits on a fish! But when all is said and done Ashley returns home safely and Leon can relax, until next time.

So I hope you enjoyed my review for RE4, I love this game, actually once me and Ari (who I mentioned a few times) saw a record for this game being completed in like 6 and a half hours, and this was in a legitimate gaming record book. We then did a complete play through in 2 and a half hours. but we hadn't read the rules so we couldn't submit our time for the next years book. Shame but we always played for fun so won in that aspect.
Me & Ari, she's a crazy red head, and despite looking like one, I'm not a druggie!

I'm scoring this game 9.9/10, would loved it to have been multiplayer like RE5 and RE6, but it is definitely not a deal breaker, this is a game to keep at hand as it never gets old.
http://www.res-evil.com/re4/ check out this site it is really interesting, has trivia and clips and stuff.
Here is the link to RE4 on the PlayStation store, a steal at £15.99 if I do say so myself; https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-gb/games/resident-evil-4/cid=EP0102-NPEB00342_00-CONTENT0000DLPKG
And the link to the disc on Amazon, an even better deal for £7.50; http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Resident-Evil-4-PS2/dp/B0007A5FY4/ref=sr_1_1/275-2809614-3666247?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1373931235&sr=1-1&keywords=residentevil+4

SCHMOOOOOWWW! Bye guys have a great day :-)

Oh and check out Ari's blog, it is like really good; http://myheartliesinfilmandcomics.blogspot.co.uk/

2 comments: